[CentOS-virt] scripted virt-install fails

Thu May 28 13:31:10 UTC 2009
lists at zfobjects.com <lists at zfobjects.com>

I have successfully installed several CentOS 5 VMs on a CentOS 5 Xen
DOM0 using a local repo and kickstart files with Virt Manager.

Using the same machine and setup, I have tried a scripted install
using same repos and kickstart file with virt-install. The only
difference I can see is that with virt-install I'm disabling the
display (no VNC).

The install goes well but the new VM won't finish booting, it keeps
stalling at various things. So far I have disabled smartd and
microcode_ctl in kickstart postinstall script, now it is stalling at
HAL.

Rather than keep disabling services and retrying, I think it's time to
ask here what I'm doing wrong ... why does basically the same VM
install work with Virt Manager but not with virt-install?

     Thanks