[CentOS-virt] Question - Xen host, DHCPD and guest VMs

Scot P. Floess sfloess at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 6 15:26:17 UTC 2009

I have a question about a Xen host that runs dhcpd and installing
guest/running guest VMs on that host (that use DHCP)...

On other hosts or hosts running VMs, they are absolutely able to get DHCP
addresses no trouble...  However, the fun begins when the machine I run
dhcpd on is also hosting VMs.  I can see in /var/log/messages the request
and ack from dhcpd but the guest VMs never hear it.  If I should bounce dhcpd prior to a guest install or start a guest VM
- everything works just fine.

I'm guessing, perhaps, there is some iptables rule I need to set up? Based
on the init scripts, dhcpd definitely starts before xend and xendomains
and ultimately the xen bridge...

Anybody know what I need to do :)  I've been bouncing dhcpd in
/etc/rc.local and starting any VMs there.  Although annoying, I'd rather
do it "right" so I can auto start my Xen guests...

Thanks ahead of time!

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC  27549