[CentOS-virt] CentOS-5.4, KVM, QEMU, Virt-Manager and kvm-qemu-img

S.Tindall

tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com
Wed Nov 11 00:39:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 15:07 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> On Tue, November 10, 2009 11:55, Kenni Lund wrote:
>

> > Hmm, try to have a look at this:
> > http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/using-bridged-networking-virt-manager
> >

> Got it. Thanks. I will give this a read tonight while I am relaxing
> with the "Red Hat Virtualization" guide.

James,

Sometimes it helps to read an explanation from two sources.

At libvirt.org, the bridged networking (shared physical device) writeup
gives similar info to the above link and can be found here:

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Creating_network_initscripts

Once you define the bridge in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, modify
the host ifcfg-eth0 to include the BRIDGE= statement (and remove the
normal BOOTPROTO= statement) and either disable netfilter on the bridge
or add the physdev --physdev-is-bridged iptables rule, then you are
basically done.

Restart the network/iptables/libvirtd and you are good to go.  Takes
maybe 5 min. to set up and does not require any knowledge of brctl.

Steve