[CentOS-virt] xendomains not autostarting

Ben M.

centos at rivint.com
Mon Nov 30 19:18:29 UTC 2009

Thanks, you gave me some solid points to check that I hadn't fully and I
think I know a little more.

My chkconfig run level 2 was on, but runlevel was at "N 3". I toggled
off, rebooted, no difference. Toggled on and off for the rest of the
checklist.

Everything checked out except for XENDOMAINS_RESTORE=true
which is default. I set it to false, toggled the runlevel 2 for a couple
of reboot checks. No joy, but ...

Oddly I am getting Saves, even though DESTROY is explicitly set in the
vm's conf to all circumstances:

name = 'v22c54'
uuid = 'a3199faf-edb4-42e5-bea1-01f2df77a47f'
maxmem = 512
memory = 512
vcpus = 1
bootloader = '/usr/bin/pygrub'
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'destroy'
on_crash = 'destroy'
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncunused=1,keymap=en-us' ]
# note selinux is off now, but the privileges are set correctly
disk = [ 'tap:aio:/var/lib/xen/images/vms/v22c54,xvda,w' ]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:36:41:76:ae,bridge=xenbr1' ]

I then slapped it around a bit and another quirk appeared.

 From a fresh boot, I then manually started xendomains service. v22c54
comes up. I did an xm shut and it reported it shut, nothing in the Save
folder. However, check this out:

[root at river22 ~]# service xendomains start
Starting auto Xen domains: v22c54[done]                    [  OK  ]
[root at river22 ~]# xm list
Name                             ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                          0     1024     2 r-----     24.7
v22c54                            1      511     1 r-----      9.0

[root at river22 ~]# xm shutdown v22c54
(no echo)

(I then tried to bring it back up, it balks, its not there and I see a
boot_kernel.random and a boot_ramdisk.random come up in /var/lib/xen)

[root at river22 ~]# xm create v22c54
Using config file "/etc/xen/v22c54".
Error: VM name 'v22c54' already in use by domain 1

(it isn't there)
[root at river22 ~]# xm list
Name                             ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                          0     1024     2 r-----     29.7
[root at river22 ~]# xm shutdown v22c54
Error: Domain 'v22c54' does not exist.
Usage: xm shutdown <Domain> [-waRH]

Shutdown a domain.
[root at river22 ~]# xm list
Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0     1024     2 r-----     29.9

I certainly like to know why things glitch and don't mind seeing this
through a little further, but I am beginning to wonder if I should just
backup the domU's and try a fresh installation.

Is it possible I am running into a naming convention on these domUs?

My first 3 chars help me determine on which host the virtual machine was
originally created.