[CentOS-virt] XEN and RH 6

Tue Nov 10 15:49:01 UTC 2009
Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash at gmail.com>

> Which I guess makes describing a guest as "fully virtualized" or
> "paravirtualized" rather pointless given that there now is just a degree of
> how paravirtualized a guest is depending on the drivers you use.
>
> Regards,
>    Dennis

I disagree completely. KVM or Xen HVM are fully virtualized except for two
drivers. This is not
the same thing as paravirtualized. People seem to think the only thing a
computer does is access the
disk and network device. With a PV everything is running native and the only
overhead is from the Hypervisor.

In a most cases using the VT bits in the CPU makes the virtualization slower
in all aspects. This may not be the case
in the future. The developers of VirtualBox have documented this.

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
Windows."
Now they have two problems.