[CentOS-virt] CentOS-5.4, KVM, QEMU, Virt-Manager and kvm-qemu-img

Tue Nov 10 16:55:36 UTC 2009
Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk>

>> Ok, once you get a grasp of it, I'm sure you'll find it pretty
>> simple :) Install kvm + virt-manager + libvirt, setup a bridge, use
>> virt-manager to create a new virtual machine which uses the bridge.
>> Now you're done, nothing more needed.
>
> The problem being is that I have already done all that and it simply
> does not work as expected.  So I infer that there a few important
> details that everyone is leaving out of their descriptions, possibly
> because they assume them as preconditions.

Hmm, try to have a look at this:
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/using-bridged-networking-virt-manager

Like shown in the screenshot in section 4, you should select "Shared
physical device" and then select your bridge in the drop-down menu.
This should NOT give you usermode network (a 192.168.122.x address),
this should instead connect the virtual machine to your network,
meaning you can request a DHCP address if you have a DHCP server or
assign a static IP inside the virtual machine.

Best Regards
Kenni Lund