[CentOS-virt] Xen domU default gateway missing/ARP table full

Fri Nov 20 09:12:00 UTC 2009
Veli-Pekka Kestilä <centos at vpk.nu>

Ken Bass wrote:
> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>
>> Yes, the routing table is correct for my domUs.
>> I have never noticed/seen GATEWAY getting ignored..
>>
>> Maybe your netmask is wrong, so the GATEWAY IP is unreachable?
>>

> Well, the netmask for the domU is 255.255.255.255 since the domU is
> allocated a single official IP address and packets are routed to it from
> the dom0.
>
> It is a bit confusing, but my dom0 is 192.168.144.6/30 [ip address
> changed for privacy]
> My domU is 192.168.139.4/32 (single host)
> Another domU is 192.168.139.128/29 (a few hosts)
>
> There is a router in the ISP that routes the domU's via my dom0 "router".
>
> The domU gateway is 192.168.144.6 which is outside the subnet mask of
> the domU. But that should be legal right? Is this just some Centos/RHEL
> network script that is not flexible enough? Obviously I can add the

Gateway needs to be in the same subnet. And for everything to work
correctly both router and client should have the same netmask for the
subnet. So you should assign the same netmask to the DomU as the
192.168.144.6 has.

-vpk