[CentOS-virt] Live migration and DRBD

Mon Nov 30 16:43:36 UTC 2009
Tait Clarridge <tait at clarridge.ca>

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 13:53 -0200, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I deploy a two Dell PowerEdge T300 to test Virtualization with
> kvm+drbd+heartbaet.
>
> The KVM drbd and heartbeat work properly.
>
> However, I have doubt!!
>
> When the primary node has down, the secondary node start the VM that
> has original running on primary node...
> So, this required a full stop of hole system...
> This is not we wish here...
>
> Is there something way to live migrate VM from primary node that was
> shutdown????
>
> I have no idea how to make this stuff working...
>
> Thanks for any help

Currently there is work being done on a project for Xen called Remus. I
am not sure about KVM but Remus is still in development and although it
has been merged into the xen-unstable repository, it isn't completely
ready yet (although the developers are working very hard).

Basically it performs the first part of a live migration and if
connection is lost, it will jump the virtual machine over to the
secondary host.

http://nss.cs.ubc.ca/remus/

It appears that Red Hat is including "high availability" for KVM in
their Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager for Servers.

Not sure if this is going to make it to CentOS, can someone
confirm/deny?