[CentOS-virt] Question - Xen host, DHCPD and guest VMs

Fri Nov 6 16:46:05 UTC 2009
Christopher G. Stach II <cgs at ldsys.net>

----- "Scot P. Floess" <sfloess at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Anybody know what I need to do :)  I've been bouncing dhcpd in
> /etc/rc.local and starting any VMs there.  Although annoying, I'd
> rather
> do it "right" so I can auto start my Xen guests...

If you want to do it correctly, don't run dhcpd in domain 0. :) You're exposing your host to traffic that it doesn't need to deal with, which can be bad for performance and is bad for security. You're also putting one extra service there that isn't solely related to keeping the ground beneath the guests, the only thing domain 0 should be doing. Start a guest to run dhcpd in auto and name the sym link in auto something like "00-guestname" so it runs before the other guests. If you have two or more physical hosts and you run ISC dhcpd, run another one of these guests as a dhcp failover peer on another host.

--
Christopher G. Stach II