[CentOS-virt] xendomains not autostarting

Mon Nov 30 17:49:46 UTC 2009
Eric Searcy <emsearcy at gmail.com>

On Nov 30, 2009, at 8:26 AM, Ben M. wrote:

> I have been scratching my head on this for days. Xendomains services
> just doesn't want to start at boot it seems, so I don't get my
> auto-domU's up without "service xendomains start" and the all start.
>
> chkconfig looks correct, I have checked xm dmesg, dmesg, turned off
> selinux and the only "clue" I have is that the xend.log startup looks
> different than a fairly similar machine and I don't quite understand
> what it might be saying. Is dom0 crashing and restarting at machine bootup?
>
> I have only one domU in ../auto to keep this simpler, its name is
> "v22c54" and I have one other anomaly: smartd is also not starting on
> services boot up but apparently runs fine with a manual command.

I'm guessing you covered this ("chkconfig looks correct") but you didn't change to a different runlevel like 2 did you?

[root at xen1 ~]# chkconfig --list xendomains
xendomains      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[root at xen1 ~]# grep :initdefault /etc/inittab
id:3:initdefault:
[root at xen1 ~]# runlevel
N 3

Also, I'm not too familiar with it, but if you're not shutting your domains off before reboot there may be something awry with the save/restore functionality.  Personally I have this disabled so I can't speak to whether it would create the symptom you have, but it might be something to try.  I have:

[root at xen1 ~]# grep "^[^#]" /etc/sysconfig/xendomains
XENDOMAINS_SYSRQ=""
XENDOMAINS_USLEEP=100000
XENDOMAINS_CREATE_USLEEP=5000000
XENDOMAINS_MIGRATE=""
XENDOMAINS_SAVE=""
XENDOMAINS_SHUTDOWN="--halt --wait"
XENDOMAINS_SHUTDOWN_ALL="--all --halt --wait"
XENDOMAINS_RESTORE=false
XENDOMAINS_AUTO=/etc/xen/auto
XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY=false
XENDOMAINS_STOP_MAXWAIT=300