[CentOS-virt] Testing new Xen Version and rollback.

Thu Oct 8 18:53:55 UTC 2009
Ben M. <centos at rivint.com>

I'm familiar with Gitco, and it is a very good repo, however, using
Gitco to go to 3.4x killed my "standard" Centos installation and it
(Xen) didn't work on 3.3x on my hardware.

I tried repo'ing in Gitco a couple of times, with yum priorities toggled
on/off and different priority labels. Then I tried it with a fresh
install, put on Yum AllowDowngrade util, but either I didn't have it
config'd right, because it didn't allow a downgrade.

I was hoping that with a prerolled Xen binary, and a manual grub.conf
entry, I could try it. But I just am clueless on depmod's impact on my
"decent" installation.

I have two more Xen machines to build out, I could test on them I guess.
I just would have felt a little more comfortable if Xen 3.4x deals with
GPLPV as well as I have read (no PCI connection on Xen 3.1). The most
very important thing is that the XenPV Shutdown Monitor does work,
though disk speed doesn't seem to benefit from it. I must say Win2k8 is
a disappointment over Win2k3 so far. Win2k3 was decent, fairly lean and
very fast, virtual or "real."