[CentOS-virt] Xen network problem

Fri Oct 30 20:53:48 UTC 2009
Ken Bass <kbass at kenbass.com>

Ben M. wrote:
> Not trying to take this off-topic, I think it is relevant.
>
> Christopher: When I booted up with dom0-cpus 1, Windows 2008 could not
> "find" its second cpu. However, once up, I can "xm or virt-manager" it
> down to 1 cpu on cup 0 and everything is fine.
>
> Is this a unique issue or do you have a tweak or hack to force smp with
> dom0 on one cpu?

While I was googling  I saw as mention that there was setting the
dom0-cpus versus modifying the dom0 kernel argument with dom0_max_vcpus=1

It sounded like using the dom0-cpus method starts the boot process with
all your CPUs and then it dynamically shinks down to the dom0-cpus level
you specify when the xend task starts. The kernel argument method will
limit the # of CPU's from the beginning. Not sure if this makes sense in
your case since you are talking about Windows 2008.

I also went into each of my guest configs and added a 'cpus="x-y"' line
to tell the guest which CPUs it was pinned to. I made sure to exclude
the one dom0 was running on.