[CentOS-virt] Move Windows within an LV to another pv safely

Sun Oct 25 14:31:35 UTC 2009
RedShift <redshift at pandora.be>

Ben M. wrote:
> Using CentOS Xen current with the 5.4 update applied.
>
> I need to move a Windows 2008 installation in LVM2 from one pv/vg/lv to
> different disk pv/vg/lv.
>
> What are considered safe ways to move it on same machine and retain a
> copy until sure it reboots?
>
> Turn off (shutdown) in Xen create identical extents in target pv/vg/lv
> and mount -t ntfs and cp? dd? rsync?
>
> Or pvmove (doesn't look like it retains a copy)?
>
> Is there an equivalent to AIX cplv?

If you haven't created a volumegroup on the new target disks, add those disks to the old volume group, execute pvmove on the old logical volume, when that's complete, execute vgsplit to create the new volume group. Pvmove is pretty robust, it can restart if it's been interrupted and can be aborted.

Glenn