[CentOS-virt] Move Windows within an LV to another pv safely

Sun Oct 25 18:41:03 UTC 2009
Christopher G. Stach II <cgs at ldsys.net>

----- "Ben M." <centos at rivint.com> wrote:

> BUT, according to 'man pvmove' it doesn't have a switch to leave a
> copy
> behind, or the old extents in place for a fallback. That makes me a
> little apprehensive about having something ready to roll back to in
> its
> most current "data" state.

Right, it doesn't. To keep downtime minimal, you can shut down the windows guest, create an LVM snapshot of the guest's LV, boot the guest back up, dd from the snapshot to a new LV for your backup, remove the snapshot, and then pvmove. Be patient with pvmove, as it can take a while.

--
Christopher G. Stach II