[CentOS-virt] High CPU usage when running a CentOS guest inVirtualBox

Hildebrand, Nils, 232 Nils.Hildebrand at bamf.bund.de
Tue Sep 1 13:33:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

I just closed a service-request with sun.
Topic: Why is Win32 slower running with two CPUs under VBox 3 than
running with one CPU on VBox 2?

I am running VBox on CentOS 5 64 bit (AMD Athlon Dual Core).

The problem is - according to sun - the IO-APIC-emulation:
On 32-bit-systems this io-apic-emulation (needed for passing interrupts
between CPUs) has to use a full software-context-switching - making
things slow.

I tried recreating the problem with CentOS 5 64 Bit as VM, two CPUs: no
problem
With CentOS 5 32 Bit as VM: same problem.

I guess some problems with multi-cpu-VMs using 32-bit-operating-systems
on a 64-bit hardware are related to this - no matter if you are using
xen (fully virtualized), VirtualBox or VMWare.

Kind regards

Nils