[CentOS-virt] High CPU usage when running a CentOS guestinVirtualBox

Mon Sep 14 15:18:15 UTC 2009
Dennis J. <dennisml at conversis.de>

On 09/14/2009 04:53 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Hildebrand, Nils, 232
> <Nils.Hildebrand at bamf.bund.de>  wrote:
>> Hi Akemi,
>>
>> KVM uses a para-virtualized approach?
>
> Not at this moment according to this Red Hat virtualization guide:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Virtualization_Guide/chap-Virtualization-Guest_operating_system_installation_procedures.html#sect-Virtualization-Installing_Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_5_as_a_para_virtualized_guest

Ugh, I guess that means my plans to switch from Xen to KVM have to wait
until RHEL 6 is released.

I wondering why that is though. Since 5.3 the kernel comes with the virtio
drivers and you can install it paravirtualized under e.g. Fedora 11 so I'm
not sure what actually prevents PV from working in KVM in 5.4.

Regards,
   Dennis