[CentOS-virt] SOLVED! Xen HVM domU won't start since updates to 2.6.18-164.15.1 kernels

Thu Apr 1 08:56:36 UTC 2010
Christopher G. Stach II <cgs at ldsys.net>

----- "Aaron Clark" <ophidian at ophidian.homeip.net> wrote:

> On 03/30/2010 07:33 AM, Sergio Charpinel Jr. wrote:
> > Aaron,
> >
> > Seems to be something related to your block device.
> >
> > Try this config file:
>
> Sergio,
>
> I just tried this config and it booted fine:
> name = "Belldandy"
> maxmem = 256
> memory = 256
> vcpus = 1
> builder = "hvm"
> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> boot = "c"
> pae = 1
> on_poweroff = "destroy"
> on_reboot = "restart"
> on_crash = "restart"
> device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
> disk = [ "phy:/dev/SystemsVG/Belldandy,hda,w" ]
> vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:29:65:46,bridge=xenbr0,script=vif-bridge" ]
> vnc = 1
>
> Attached is the generated virsh xml from the above.
>
> I'm going to tinker with this for a bit to try and figure out what
> difference from the previous config is actually the cause of the
> issue.
>   I just had the other, formerly working VM, bail with the same symptoms
> once I got this one work.  The workaround is nice but I definitely
> want to isolate this bug now.

Try mucking with the acpi and apic flags. IIRC, they both default to 0 in this version of Xen so by eliding them, you turned them off. On the right machine, either will screw up HVM.

--
Christopher G. Stach II
http://ldsys.net/~cgs/