[CentOS-virt] KVM: 'ÿ' character after starting a VM via virt-install

Wed Apr 28 18:06:01 UTC 2010
compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com>

I’m guessing the hardware has virtual abilities enabled in the bios

This problem you have once happened to me, and from what I can remember it
had something to do with storage. These days I use block devices, which is
faster. If you’re using file-based, I guess you might want to check
permissions for the directory you’re putting them in, as well as permissions
for the .iso file you’re installing from.

Also, make sure you are not running the zen kernel – KVM requires the normal
x86_64 kernel.  Using the package manager to list my kvm components:

etherboot-zroms-kvm.x86_64   5.4.4-10.el5.centos          installed

kmod-kvm.x86_64                          83-105.el5_4.28
installed

kvm.x86_64                                        83-105.el5_4.28
installed

kvm-qemu-img.x86_64                 83-105.el5_4.28                installed

uname -a:  Linux centos.domain.com 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Mar 17
11:30:06 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux