[CentOS-virt] IBM GPFS filesystem

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Fri Dec 3 01:08:51 EST 2010

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On 12/02/2010 12:58 PM, compdoc wrote:
>> [>]...live migration...?
<snip>

> No. You need a shared filesystem. Which pretty much leaves you on either
> NFS or a clustered filesystem.

Totally wrong ! If you have never tested it , try it (and try to
understand clvmd) before saying that it doesn't work !
If you've never tried it, that means you've never played with the rhcs
stack, because even if you want to put gfs/gfs2 on top, you still need
clvmd to have a consistent logical volume management across all the
nodes in the hypervisor cluster ...
It seems to me that most people wanting to have a clusterfs
(gfs/gfs2/ocfs2/whateverfs) on top of a shared storage want that just
because they are used to that  thing that Vmware did for a shared
storage : vmfs on top of a shared storage and file-based container
(.vmdk) for the virtual machines.
I've installed several solutions based purely on lvm

Please compare all the solutions and you'll easily find that on a
performance/IO level you'll be always faster to put put extra layer
between the VM storage and the shared storage

Fabian Arrotin