[CentOS-virt] Xen version

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 11:44:47 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 2:19 AM, <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:

> Paul Piscuc writes:
>
> > « HTML content follows »
> > Hi,
> >

> > We are thinking of using CentOS with XEN in production, but we are facing
> > some issues regarding the 3.0.3 version of the xen hypervisor and windows
> > paravirtualization. The drivers we are using are from here
> > (<URL:http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv>
> http://wiki.xensour
> > ce.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv). The solution we found is upgrading to
> xen
> > 3.4.2, using a strange repository (<URL:http://gitco.de>gitco.de), and
> > everything seems to work. Now the question is: would you recomand using
> > the 3.0.3 kernel provided by CentOS in production and searching for other
> > paravirtualization drivers, or go with 3.4.2? Is this version of the
> > hypervisor stable?
>
> Why get complicated and not use KVM? Xen's future @ RedHat is not that
> bright.
>
> My 2 pence.
>
> --
> Nux!
> www.nux.ro

Yes, installing Xen 3.4.2 is very complicated. It's amazing how anyone can
pull it off! :-)

wget http://www.gitco.de/linux/x86_64/centos/5/CentOS-GITCO.repo -O
/etc/yum.repos.d/gitco.repo
yum groupinstall Virtualization

Or you could just put in an XCP install disk and take a nap. You'd have the
very stable RHEL 5.5 base for Dom0, Xen 3.4.2 and a kernel roughly
equivalent to what you get in RHEL6.
For the record RHEL6 guests run on Xen as will any future Linux Distros.

Grant McWilliams