[CentOS-virt] IBM GPFS filesystem

Thu Dec 2 16:04:33 UTC 2010
Evan Fraser <evan.fraser at rms.com>

Adam Wead <amsterdamos at ...> writes:

> Hi all,I was wondering if anyone might be able to speak about using IBM's GPFS
filesystem as a means of storing virtual guests in a clustered environment with
CentOS as the nodes and KVM as the hypervisor?
> I'm looking at using IBM's TSM software for archiving data from disk to tape.
This requires buying a license for GPFS which is used in conjunction with TSM
but can also be used as a clustered filesystem as well.  As I understand it,
GPFS can work with CentOS so long as you're using the right kernel.Is anyone out
there using CentOS+GPFS for their virtualization environment?many thanks in
advance,...adam

Hi Adam,
I use GPFS as my filesystem for my Centos-Xenvirtual environment.

The Virtual servers are converted Compute nodes, running Centos 5.4 with Xen
3.4.2 and have Infiniband connectivity to the NSD servers.  The VM's all live on
the GPFS filesystem.  This has worked pretty well, the disk performance of the
VM's has been good when using the GPL paravirt drivers (my VM's are windows
server 2003).

I'm currently in the process of trying to re-setup the infrastructure using
stateless Centos+KVM Virtual servers instead, but its too early to tell if its
working or not.

Good luck,

Evan.