[CentOS-virt] IBM GPFS filesystem

Fri Dec 3 08:46:59 UTC 2010
Frederic SOULIER <frederic.soulier at univ-tlse1.fr>

On 03/12/2010 08:55, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 12:45:22PM +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Fabian Arrotin
>> <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>  wrote:
>>>>
>>> Why would so much people use a clusterfs for Virtualization ?
>>> Just use lvm and a logical volumes for your guests.
>> Did you mean CLVM? Where does snapshot stand?
>>
>> bitty outta touch with tech these days...
>>
> You can also use normal LVM over shared iSCSI LUN,
> but you need to be (very) careful with running LVM management commands
> and getting all the nodes (dom0s) to be in sync :)
>
> (Citrix XenServer does this, but there the management toolstack
> takes care of the LVM command execution + state synchronization).

Hi,

We use this solution on a san shared storage with Xen and Centos 5 for 3
years now and i confirm that works fine.
We use live migration without problem.
We "manage" the pool of xen server from standalone server. This server
assume only one instance of a vm run on the pool.

We plan to migrate with kvm and centos 6.
We thinked about the opportunity to move to a clusetred/shared
filesystem in order to take benefits of the qcow2 image file format
(snapshot, diff, etc...)

Googling a lot, it seems there is 2 solution :
   * NFS fileserver
   * ClusterFileSystem on the san (FC,iscsi,etc...)

As anyone have advices/experiences in production with these solutions ?

We have here a good hadware (SAN FC, multipathing, etc....) and the
clusteringFileSystem seems to be the solution but we search about the
best/simple solution (easy to manage) and the rhcs seems to be complex.