[CentOS-virt] Can I use direct attached storage as a shared filesystem in Xen

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Mon Feb 8 22:34:36 UTC 2010

>I have a quad core server in which I want to run 4 virtual
servers. On this server I have a 1/2 terabyte raid 1 I have
split between the 4 members that have the OS on it. I have
raid 5 10 terabyte internal storage running on a 3ware 9690a
card.  I want to share this storage between the servers
without partitioning it.  Is this possible?

You can carve up chunks of it to use as block device storage
for individual virtual machines. Doing it that way doesn't
require any specific partition on the volume. You just
include the volume in an LVM group. This would allow you to
serve the chunks from the virtual machines in various ways.
(ntfs, ext3, iscsi, etc)

I'm pretty sure any other way would require a large
partition on some kind. Like ext3, or whichever one you
like.