[CentOS-virt] Best practices for LVM and virtualization

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Wed Feb 10 10:16:00 UTC 2010

>> 3. On both host and guest
> This is what I always use and recommend. It doesn't have any side effects with modern software versions, except with layered

Thanks!

I have tried this, but I don't see how to grow the guest file system
without restarting the guest:
- if I grow the underlying logical volume on the host, the guest still
see the hard drive with the old size (checking with fdisk)
- if I would add additional logical volumes (host) / drives (guest) in
order to add them to the guest volume group, I will have to restart
the guest

I am using virtio disks.

Is there a command so that the guest notices that its harddrive has grown?
Is there a way to add new drives without restarting the guest?