[CentOS-virt] guest management: 1 and only 1 instance

Christopher Hunt dharmachris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 23:49:04 UTC 2010

Gang,
     I run several KVM host machines.  Due to updates, maintenance,
and unexpected reboots sometime host machines are restarted.  I can
easily envision a scenario where HostX needs some critical packages
updated or is acting up.  I migrate guest0, guest1, guest2 etc. from
HostX to HostY.  Then, in either a planned (i.e. scheduled
maintenance) or unplanned (i.e. unplanned reboot) event reboots HostX.
 Unfortunately guest0, guest1 and guest2 are all set to autostart on
HostX but they're currently running on HostY when HostX boots.... etc
etc etc

    Is anyone using effective packages, scripts or techniques which
help maintain that all guest are running once and only once across a
cluster of KVM hosts?  I have been using virt-manager but it's not
automated so much...

Thanks for your feedback,
Chris