[CentOS-virt] Best practices for LVM and virtualization

Tue Feb 9 22:00:48 UTC 2010
Christopher G. Stach II <cgs at ldsys.net>

----- "Mathieu Baudier" <mbaudier at argeo.org> wrote:

> 1. On the host only

This always turns into a total mess when you have anything more than a tiny installation.

> 2. On the guest only

This one just makes no sense. :)

> 3. On both host and guest

This is what I always use and recommend. It doesn't have any side effects with modern software versions, except with layered MD RAID on the host. (I don't know if that has been fixed yet, but I don't think it has.) The only issue is that there is an extra step or two when you resize guest partitions and you're out of PV space in the guest. This also doesn't lock you into this way of doing things. You can always add more targets a la #1.

--
Christopher G. Stach II
http://ldsys.net/~cgs/