[CentOS-virt] Windows Xen VM's have high guest CPU usage and poor performance

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Tue Jan 26 09:07:07 UTC 2010

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:24:41PM +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>>> Ok. The next thing to try would be to update to gitco Xen 3.4.2 rpms,
>>> but I guess you switched to ESXi already :)
>>>
>> For what is worth, I had several problems with the gitco packages:
>> - in xen-3.3 .0 , Java starting to consume all the processing power (
>> the same VM with stock xen from Centos 5.2 was fine in this aspect; see
>> my thread started at
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-virt/2009-February/000836.html )
>> - with xen-3.4.1 and 3.4.2 from gitco, an XP HVM failed to start,
>> despite working perfectly with stock Centos 5.4
>>

> Ok. Did you check "xm log" for more information about the XP problem?

    I apologize, my wording could have bean clearer: it was Windows that
was crashing with the new version of xen (some "hardware" changes in the
VM, I presume); xen itself was pretty happy. At the time I needed a
functional XP (even if it was an experimental installation and I could
do some experiments). I did not do any digging because my life as
Windows programmer/admin ended exactly 10 years ago and my Windows
skills were not really upgraded ever since; therefore I simply reverted
to the known good configuration. That is, Centos 5.4.
    These days I could do some debugging if that would be useful (the XP
VM is mostly useless now, it has served its purpose), but I would need a
tutor to keep my hand on the Win part ( I am not willing to spend time
googling for solutions to Windows issues )