[CentOS-virt] Xen Database vms

Fri Jan 15 15:56:01 UTC 2010
Ben M. <centos at rivint.com>

Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> Ben:
>
>> Are "centralized" database (SQL) servers best left out of
>> virtualization
>> and intensive querying, Accounting Systems and so forth.
>
> It really depends on the hardware you allocate to the VM
> and how intensive the usage is.
>
> Personally, if I have an intensively queried database
> server, I want it directly on hardware.
>
> 	Neil

Neil:

What if it were the only "real" active vm? I know that might sound a bit
of a waste, but I am really enjoying the backup and duplication
abilities of running in a Xen hypervisor as well as its other features.
It seems to be saving me a lot of time in production settings. And there
is also a comfort level in uniformity on a LAN.

Would there still be a significant hit on resource performance by the
hypervisor if running that database server alone in it, or alongside a
few rarely used, lightweight or spurious vms? I am talking about the
database activities running during the biz day and backups, batches and
other maintenance in the off hours. Nothing urgent here, just trying to
plan out the future, mull over the possibilities and where to head.

- Ben