[CentOS-virt] VirtIO with CentOS 5.4

Fri Jan 22 19:17:48 UTC 2010
Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com>

On 01/22/2010 07:08 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
> anyway who like to run the host on 32 bit
> and why?

In my case it's on a small business server - kvm is meant to replace
VMWare with a better/Free option.  That server is multi-purpose,
including running a proprietary database (app vendor requirement), so
switching arches would require an expensive and time-consuming
re-validation of the entire system.  Switching virt methods only
requires re-validating the virtualized system and minimizes downtime.

But that's probably only one of myriad scenarios.  When the package
problem is fixed, I'll have a go at building them, perhaps seeing what
Fedora is doing differently if there's something that doesn't work.

If that proves too difficult, I'd probably take this system and convert
it to a 32-bit guest and then just run a the VM's in parallel.  That's
closer to an ideal solution, but again more expensive and more downtime.

-Bill
--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle