[CentOS-virt] Fedora 12 domU will not boot kernel

Thu Jan 7 14:43:32 UTC 2010
Tait Clarridge <tait at clarridge.ca>

> I think 5.4 added some hypervisor/dom0 side fixes, that might be needed
> for F12 guests. I'm not totally sure. You can go through redhat bugzillas
> if you want :)

I will take a look into the changes, thanks.

> I've been successfully running both 32bit and 64bit Fedora 12
> domUs/guests on EL 5.4 dom0.
>
> What's the actual problem? Use virt-install or virt-manager to install
> new F12 guest.
>
> Btw what's your hardware?
>
> -- Pasi

To install the guest I mounted the DVD on a remote webserver and
exported via HTTP, from dom0 I grabbed the pxeboot kernel and ramdisk
and passed those to the domU to start the install. When using the F12
kernel/ramdisk the domU doesn't cause any errors (logs are clean as
well) but it doesn't start. It goes up and down twice in very quick
succession and the logs tell me that it is rebooting too quickly and
therefore it stops attempting to boot the domU. When using the F11
install kernel/ramdisk the domU boots and installs just fine.

To get it to F12 I tried preupgrade but on rebooting when I select the
preupgrade selection from pygrub it has the same behaviour as the
initial F12 install. Same thing happens when I do the upgrade from yum
and try to boot the new kernel.

The machine right now is running all F12 software except for the kernel.
When booting any F12 kernel there are no error messages in either domU
(obviously) or dom0.

The hardware is a SunFire x4140 with 64GB ram and dual quad core
Opterons. I can get more specific if you would like, but xen has worked
perfectly on these machines with every other type of OS except F12.

I will try and get some downtime for the box so I can upgrade if the
conclusion is that some dom0/hypervisor fixes in the newer kernel/xen
packages will solve the problem.

I appreciate the help and quick responses so far :)

Tait