[CentOS-virt] guest got cpu mhz 0.000

Wed Jul 14 02:04:01 UTC 2010
Kuang-Chun Cheng <kccheng at LinuxDAQ-Labs.com>

Hi,

I'm running CentOS 5.5 (on ThinkPad x61).
I use KVM to run a SLES 11.0 (32bits, kernel 2.6.27.19-5-pae) guest.
The "cat /proc/cpuinfo" got the result:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.1
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 0.000
cache size      : 32 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 4
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm up pni
bogomips        : 1437.69
clflush size    : 64
power management:

The CPU Mhz is 0 !!!!

On dom0 (CentOS 5.5), the "cat /proc/cpuinfo" got:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2094.743
cache size      : 3072 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
nx lm constant_tsc ida pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr
sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4189.48
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2094.743
cache size      : 3072 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
nx lm constant_tsc ida pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr
sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4188.88
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

I have another Thinkpad x201i which also use CentOS 5.5 to host SLES11 guest
and that machine does not has this problem.

Does anyone know what's wrong ?
Can change CPU info of guest OS ?  Thanks

Regards,
KC