[CentOS-virt] Lockup with (none) login

Tue Jul 6 07:42:33 UTC 2010
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:34:25PM -0400, Ben M. wrote:
> I had a CentOS 5.5 Xen "standard virtualization" install lockup on
> reboot after an battery backup (apcusbd) orderly shutdown induced by a
> power outage. It may have been sitting with two kernel updates without a
> reboot.
>
> I have to head to the site (with a fractured ankle), but reports
> indicate that it is at
>
> - (none) login:
>
> which only returns back to itself after a user login at console,
> including root.
>
> - the local user says, though the monitor speed was "too fast" that it
> is failing to find its mounts OR that the disk reported errors.
>
> It is on a dmraid (I know, please don't flame me).
>
> There is some critical information on the drives that did NOT backup.
>
> I need a list of tools and ideas to have a checklist to try and
> resurrect this machine.
>
> Of course I will go with
> - Live CD
> - CentOS 5.5 install.
> - Hard drives.
>
> I would appreciate any procedural methods to go about this and try to
> resurrect this machine.

Hmm.. boot log would be good, then it'd be obvious what's wrong.
Try using a serial console to capture the Xen/kernel messages?

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole

Other than that.. did you check redhat bugzilla if there's some dmraid
related regression on 5.5 ? Or maybe some other regression..

-- Pasi