[CentOS-virt] Virt-install Error on Centos 5.4 64bit and kvm

Tue Jul 27 22:04:39 UTC 2010
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:
> 2010/7/27 cris rock <queneroviejo at hotmail.com>:

>> And my packages installed:
>>
>> # rpm -qa | grep qemu
>> qemu-0.12.4-1.el5.rf
>>
>> # rpm -qa | grep kvm
>> etherboot-zroms-kvm-5.4.4-13.el5.centos
>> kmod-kvm-83-164.el5_5.12
>> kvm-83-164.el5_5.12
>
> I haven't used CentOS as a KVM host yet, only Fedora, but your setup
> still puzzles me...why do you have a brand new qemu-package (as in
> "not from the CentOS/RHEL repositories") installed? I would guess that
> this package would conflict with the kvm package and mess things up.
>
> Your error message mentions /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 as the
> executable. If you run
> rpm -qf /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64
> does it then tell you that this file belong to the qemu package? If
> so, I believe this is your problem...you try to use qemu, which has
> partial KVM support, instead of using qemu-kvm (which is the "real"
> KVM userspace executable that originates from the kvm package). I
> don't think the arguments supported by qemu-system-x86_64 and qemu-kvm
> are the same, which probably could be the cause of the client not
> booting and libvirt/virt-manager failing.

Right, and there is a bit more about kvm-qemu (correct) versus qemu
(incorrect) as explained by Fabian Arrotin in this bug report:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4111

Remove the installed qemu and install kvm-qemu-img and try again.

Akemi