[CentOS-virt] get xen name from guest

Christopher G. Stach II cgs at ldsys.net
Wed Mar 10 09:52:35 UTC 2010

----- "Ryan Pugatch" <rpug at linux.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Is it possible to get the name that was set in a VM's xen config file
> from the guest machine?  I'm interested in having my kickstart launch a
> script that can configure hostname, but to do that it would need to
> get the name set in the config.
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Since there isn't an rpm for the xenstore tools for guests, copy libxenstore.so.* and /usr/bin/xenstore-read (and the rest, if you want) to the guest and use something like this:

let i=1

while [ $i -le 100 ]; do
        NAME=$(./xenstore-read /local/domain/$i/name 2> /dev/null)

        [ -n "${NAME}" ] && break

        let i++

[ -n "${NAME}" ] && echo ${NAME}

exit 0

I don't see why you would even need this, though. If you are using kickstart, you can get the hostname with either the static configuration or DHCP.

Christopher G. Stach II