[CentOS-virt] reboot guest on panic

Christopher G. Stach II cgs at ldsys.net
Mon Mar 15 01:33:43 UTC 2010

----- "Norman Gaywood" <ngaywood at une.edu.au> wrote:

> LTSP setups are either Fedora or Ubuntu which run about the same
> vintage of kernel.

There isn't a whole lot special happening on the server side for LTSP. You shouldn't be tied to any specific kernel version as long as you have NFS, dhcpd, tftpd, and an X server running and accepting connections. I ran it with a CentOS 5 server in the past without any problems native to LTSP. (The only issue you may run into are a build environment if you muck around with the client binaries, and you don't need Xen for that, nor do you want a build environment on your production system.) You could even roll your own with something like Thinstation or NX (if you want headaches). All in all, it's not a big deal if you build it completely from scratch, no matter what kind of clients you are serving. I actually prefer it nice and simple this way, because LTSP development has been than a little bit messed up for years and they now tie you to their line of thinking and the associated problems.

Now, if you want something specific to a recent Fedora version on the server, then you're just asking for trouble. Fedora is nowhere near stable and you're just going to tear your hair out maintaining it after you tear your hair out getting it to run. If that's the case, avoid Xen and any sort of stability-oriented "enterprise" stuff and run it on the compatible bare metal (after you acquire it.) Is it a need and is it really worth it to do it that way instead of getting your Fedora environment dependencies and building them on something stable or getting them from EPEL or another repo?

> Installing say a Centos kernel on fedora does not look to be an
> option.

Yeah, not unless you go back to FC6. :)

--
Christopher G. Stach II