[CentOS-virt] Xen HVM domU won't start since updates to 2.6.18-164.15.1 kernels

Aaron Clark ophidian at ophidian.homeip.net
Sun Mar 28 17:45:58 UTC 2010

On 03/28/2010 07:59 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:53:41PM -0500, Christopher G. Stach II wrote:
>> ----- "Aaron Clark"<ophidian at ophidian.homeip.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> What steps should I take next to debug this?
>>
>> Downgrade back to where you were bit by bit (or just guess that it's dom0's kernel) and see when it starts working again.
>>
>> What does the busted guest say when it tries to boot while you watch its [serial] console? Does the dom0 ever unpause the guest? (It should say in the logs.)
>>

> Yeah, and remove the vfb (graphical vnc console) from the guest,
> so you can then do:
>
> xm create -f /etc/xen/guest -c
>
> to immediately attach to the console and see the guest kernel boot messages.

Ok, I've tried the following now:

- rebooted the dom0 into the previous, working kernel-xen and start domU
(doesn't work)
- while in the old kernel-xen, switch the grub config for the domU to
use the old kernel then try to start the domU (doesn't work)
- remove the vnc lines from the guest's config via virsh edit and
attempt to start (doesn't work)

I do not have any serial console stuff set up, so I'll need a little bit
more detailed instructions to get that working (which files I need to
modify on guest and host, what to put where, etc).

I have attached the snippet of the xend.log from my latest startup
attempt and the virsh xml in use while it is 'running' but not actually
working.

Aaron
--
"The goblins are in charge of maintenance?  Why not just set it on fire
now and call it a day?"