[CentOS-virt] Silly question about KVM

Thu Mar 18 19:37:31 UTC 2010
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 02:35:34PM -0700, Grant McWilliams wrote:
>    On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Scot P. Floess <[1]sfloess at nc.rr.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      Sure, I understand the support until 2014...was more thinking of moving
>      to 6 and beyond...
>
>    People focus on this a lot but really you might have 1 machine that needs
>    Dom0 support and 50 that need DomU support. The majority of Virtual
>    Machines will need DomU support which will be included indefinitely.

Yep. I believe RHEL5 Xen will be able to run RHEL6 Xen PV guests.

>    Dom0 support is already becoming a pain but either that will be fixed by
>    a) Xen Dom0 getting into the mainline kernel b) someone create a stripped
>    down Dom0 OS just for the hypervisor. Effectively this is what XCP is
>    doing I think.

Yeah, XCP is the lately opensourced full CentOS-based distribution that is used
in the commercial Citrix XenServer.. It has Xen hypervisor, dom0 kernel,
new Xen management toolstack (xapi/xe) etc.

And most importantly it's tested as a whole.

-- Pasi