[CentOS-virt] Xen HVM domU won't start since updates to 2.6.18-164.15.1 kernels

Mon Mar 29 05:28:24 UTC 2010
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 06:39:01PM -0400, Aaron Clark wrote:
> On 03/28/2010 03:36 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 12:45:58PM -0400, Aaron Clark wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok, I've tried the following now:
> >>
> >> - rebooted the dom0 into the previous, working kernel-xen and start domU
> >> (doesn't work)
> >> - while in the old kernel-xen, switch the grub config for the domU to
> >> use the old kernel then try to start the domU (doesn't work)
> >> - remove the vnc lines from the guest's config via virsh edit and
> >> attempt to start (doesn't work)
> >>
> >> I do not have any serial console stuff set up, so I'll need a little bit
> >> more detailed instructions to get that working (which files I need to
> >> modify on guest and host, what to put where, etc).
> >>

> > You don't need a serial console to see the _guest_ kernel boot messages.
> > You just disable vfb (graphical console) from the guest, and then the
> > guest kernel messages will automatically go to the Xen text console:
> >
> > You can see the full guest kernel boot messages like this:
> >
> > xm create -f /etc/xen/<guest>  -c
> >
> > Edit the /etc/xen/<guest>  cfgfile first, and remove the vfb line to disable graphical console.
> >

> I removed the vfb line from the /etc/xen/<guest> file... still doesn't
> start and the console does not attach.
>
> [root at Yggdrasil ~]# xm create -f /etc/xen/Belldandy -c
> Using config file "/etc/xen/Belldandy".
> Started domain Belldandy
> xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory

Hmm.. only now I notice you're trying to start a HVM guest.
HVM guests will pretty much require graphical console..

Sorry for the wrong tips. The stuff I wrote was for PV guests.

-- Pasi