[CentOS-virt] Introducing ConVirt 2.0

Sun Mar 7 09:09:44 UTC 2010
Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash at gmail.com>

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Christopher G. Stach II <cgs at ldsys.net>wrote:

> ----- "Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik at iki.fi> wrote:
> >
> > RHEL/CentOS doesn't provide web-based management.. or even easy
> > multi-host / cluster management of virtualization nodes.
> >
> > -- Pasi
>
> Are there any *good* reasons? (Since I really hate commercials, I feel
> compelled to present my contrarian viewpoint.) ConVirt addresses a pretty
> small portion of the virtualization landscape, and it consists of only a few
> significant parts:
>
> 1. Do what other free and open tools already do.
> 2. Slap a web interface on it!
> 3. Spam lists.
> 4. Rope in suckers.
>
> The suggestion that a web interface is a value add to an infrastructure
> issue is at least insulting. You could attempt to slap a web interface on a
> fuel injection system (or maybe at least give access to the magic a la
> MegaSquirt), but a bunch of assholes are still going to blow something up.
> It's not going to give any admin worth his or her salt a boner because it's
> not readily scriptable and it amounts to candy for retards. Secondly,
> everything else that it does is already there. If you can't do it, you
> shouldn't be touching the machines.
>
> The tool may or may not address some vanilla installations (if there ever
> was one), but if you need something like that, you are probably better off
> with EC2 or at least letting someone else handle it.
>
> --
> Christopher G. Stach II
> http://ldsys.net/~cgs/ <http://ldsys.net/%7Ecgs/>

As these tools become more mature I'd like to see some comparisons because I
too get a little tired of all the hype surrounding 20 tools that do exactly
the same thing. I played with Convirt quite a while ago but it either didn't
install right or didn't work right. Version 2.0 looks better. But then we
have Eucalyptus, Enomalism, Convirt, Orchestra, Xen Admin, DTC-Xen, Cloudmin
and I'd guess a whole bunch more. I wrote my own for classroom purposes that
reads a roster and lets me act on whole classes of machines. I didn't
release it because I think we have enough Xen guis. What we need to do is
combine resources and make one real GOOD one.

Grant McWilliams