[CentOS-virt] Simulate Network Cable Disconnect

Thu May 13 14:23:41 UTC 2010
Tait Clarridge <tait at clarridge.ca>

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 09:44 -0400, Tait Clarridge wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 10:09 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 12:28 -0400, Tait Clarridge wrote:
> > > I am having trouble simulating a network cable disconnect with KVM. I
> > > would like to test active backup bonding for a switch IOS upgrade in a
> > > production environment.
> >
> > Couldn't you just do a "ifdown ethX" in the KVM itself?  One of the
> > bonded NICs will go down, and the kernel should report it as such.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ranbir
>
> I did try that but it didn't fail over, actually I think I did "ifconfig
> ethX down" instead of ifdown ethX. I will try again when I get some
> time, thanks for the pointer! :)
>
> Tait

The other thing is that I wanted to simulate the switch powering off and
having it auto failover to the second switch that the other half of the
bond is connected to. This isn't possible in my simulation setup so
manually will have to do for now.

Just wanted to confirm that the "ifdown ethX" and "ifup ethX" worked for
at least a manual cutover simulation, so thanks again.

Tait