[CentOS-virt] How to connect a guest to a fixed routable address?

Thu May 27 20:23:32 UTC 2010
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Wed, May 26, 2010 18:34, compdoc wrote:

> are other ways to do things. But I found bridges to be the best\
> way to go for attaching to the lan or wan, and virtual nets are
> great for guest-to-guest, or guest-to-server communication.
>
> A bridge lets several guests share one nic, but they can also be
> used to assign one guest to one nic. There is no magic involved,
> however - if you have too many guests sharing one network card,
> you're going to develop a bottleneck.

Thank you.  I have configured a bridge on that server and assigned
eth0 to it.  This a desktop development machine begin used to show a
proof of concept so adding another NIC is a frill that will not be
contemplated.

I am presently installing another guest that is using the eth0
directly.  I will see how that goes with respect to network
connectivity.

Can anyone explain to me the significance of tunctl and its relation
to virtual machines.  It seems quite important from what I have read
but tactual documentation on what it is and why or when  or how you
should use it is a bit sparse.

Canada  L8E 3C3