[CentOS-virt] How does KVM handle multiple cores?

Mon Nov 22 14:04:54 UTC 2010
Guillaume Taglang <taglang at lifebiosystems.com>

MargoAndTodd wrote:
> My big concern here is that if I tell it 4 cores on my customer's
> x5650 (6 hardware cores), I will actually get 4 hyperthreaded cores
> for a total of 2 actual cores.

It's how it works, think of kvm as an application. If you tell that it
should use 4 core it's like if you tell it to use 4 processes or
threads. The host operating system will decide which processor core or
thread to use ...

Cheers,

Guillaume Taglang
Director IT
LIFE Biosystems
phone:  +49 6221 438 5367
mobile: +49 176 19 18 17 99
fax:    +49 6221 4859521
email:  guillaume.taglang at lifebiosystems.com
web:    http://lifebiosystems.com
mail:   Poststrasse 34 - 69115 Heidelberg - Germany
LIFE Biosystems GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Stephan Brock
                  Dr. Hartmut Voss
                  Dr. Friedrich von Bohlen und Halbach
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Heidelberg
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim - HRB 338037