[CentOS-virt] KVM instance keep crashing

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 19:47:10 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Eric Searcy <emsearcy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Poh Yong Hwang <yongsan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> The message log belongs to the guest which will become unresponsive from
>> time to time. I have done the following and it report the same both on host
>> as well as guest:
>> [root at localhost conf]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted
>> 65
>
> 65 = 1 + 64
>
>  1 - A module with a non-GPL license has been loaded, this
>       includes modules with no license.
>  64 - The user has asked that the system be marked "tainted".  This
>       could be because they are running software that directly modifies
>       the hardware, or for other reasons.
>
> So, you won't be able to get any help from kernel people (probably)
> unless you can reproduce the problem without any binary kernel
> modules.

The OP's kernel is apparently "Tainted" as seen on this line:

> Oct 14 16:24:49 localhost kernel: Pid: 2363, comm: ntpd Tainted: P      2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 #1

However, what is strange is (now this is going to be off-topic here)
that systems loaded with kmod-kvm show:

$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted
64
$ rpm -qi kmod-kvm | grep License
Size        : 4614945                          License: GPLv2

Despite the fact the kvm module is GPL'd, the value of tainted is
non-zero.  This kernel is supposed to be NOT tainted.  Could someone
using kvm confirm this ?

Akemi