[CentOS-virt] VMWare 4.1 and CentOS

Joseph L. Casale

jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Sun Oct 24 21:20:10 UTC 2010

>Is there any known issues when trying to run CentOS (x86 or x64) on a fresh install of vmware 4.1?
>Details as to why I am asking are here in the CentOS forums: https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=DESC&topic_id=28521&forum=39

Vmware, no. I have been using it for many release including yours for some time
and I only use x64. The only difference is the hardware, that's a newer box than
I have at any location and its amd, mine are all Intel. ESXi doesn't emulate a
consistent proc, it passes it in. If the underlying hardware is problematic so is the
vm. I didn't bother to check, but I would assume that platform is supported for RHEL
5 but possibly the combination is bad.

My only two suggestions:

1. I wouldn't run asterisk in a vm if my life depended on it, tried many times and
it always came around sooner or later to remind me it didn't want that malarkey.

2. Slap your 299.00 down on a single incidence at vmware, you'll almost feel ripped
off on how fast you will likely get the right answer. That's a big company dealing w/
very elaborate and large setups, someone will have been there and done that, I can
assure you.

Email back your reso, I am curious to know.
jlc