[CentOS-virt] problem: kvm host locks up for some seconds

Mon Oct 25 15:02:52 UTC 2010
Momonth <momonth at gmail.com>

Hi All,

I'm running:

kvm-qemu-img-83-164.el5
kvm-83-164.el5
kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5
libvirt-python-0.6.3-33.el5
virt-viewer-0.0.2-3.el5
kernel-2.6.18-194.el5
etherboot-zroms-kvm-5.4.4-13.el5.centos
kmod-kvm-83-164.el5
kernel-devel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.centos.plus
libvirt-0.6.3-33.el5
python-virtinst-0.400.3-9.el5
kvm-tools-83-164.el5
virt-manager-0.6.1-12.el5

on HP ProLiant DL380 G6. Basically it works ok, quite stably running
10 VMs .. the only problem I've got is the following:

Sometime initiating 'shutdown' from guest OS (linux only), kvm host
locks up for several seconds (15-30) and also all of the VMs hosted on
this host become inaccessible as well.
In 100% cases if I do 'Force shutdown' (from Virtual Machine Manager)
of a VM, consequent VMs re-start results in kvm host locking up for
some seconds as well ..

Does anybody experience something similar ?

I've tested Ubuntu Server 10.04.1 LTS on the same hardware with
'latest/greatest' kernel | kvm and it doesn't have this problem.

Regards,
Vladimir