[CentOS-virt] performance differences between kvm/xen

Thu Oct 21 19:56:02 UTC 2010
Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash at gmail.com>

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Grant McWilliams <
grantmasterflash at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 3:29 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>wrote:
>
>> On 10/21/2010 12:01 AM, Grant McWilliams wrote:
>> > So what we're on the verge of doing here is creating a test set... I'd
>> > love to see a shell script that ran a bunch of tests, gathered data
>> > about the system and then created an archive that would then be uploaded
>> > to a website which created graphs. Dreaming maybe but it would be
>> > consistent. So what goes in our testset?
>>
>> I am trying to create just that - a kickstart that will build a machine
>> as a Xen dom0, build 4 domU's, fire up puppet inside the domU's do the
>> testing and scp results into a central git repo. Then something similar
>> for KVM.
>>
>> will get the basic framework online today.
>>
>> - KB
>> ______
>>

> Do you suppose you could get it to use Phoronix Test Suite so
> we can start to have measurable stats? We could do the same thing for any
> VM software - even
> the ones that don't allow publishing stats in the EULA...
>
> I'm also wondering if we should do the whole test suite or a subset.
> Here is the list of tests..

One thing that I think probably needs to be modified for our needs is a Dom0
controller to run various tests in each DomU simultaneously then collate the
date.
Virtual worlds are more complex than non-virtual ones. Sometimes something
runs great in on VM but drags when multiple VMs are being used.

Grant McWilliams