[CentOS-virt] VMWare 4.1 and CentOS

Mon Oct 25 16:26:37 UTC 2010
Ed Heron <Ed at Heron-ent.com>

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 16:03 -0500, Drew Kollasch wrote:
> Is there any known issues when trying to run CentOS (x86 or x64) on a
> fresh install of vmware 4.1?
>
> Details as to why I am asking are here in the CentOS
> forums: https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=DESC&topic_id=28521&forum=39
>
> Thanks!
> -Drew

  Reading that thread...

  Is the kernel panic during install or during first boot?

  Assuming first boot, there are a few options.
	1. Use an older install disc.  This was the suggested resolution.
	2. Use a kickstart file to update during install (%post), before first
boot.
	3. Use the install disc as a rescue disc to update the system after
install, before first boot.  I like this option for the simplicity in a
single instance install.
	4. Setup a local repository, with updates, and install from there using
the net install disc.  I like this option for multiple installs.  I'm
heading in this direction except with PXE instead of physical discs.

  If while booting the install disc,
	1. See option 1 in previous section.
	2. Create your own updated install disc.  This option has very little
to recommend it as it is significant effort for little gain.  The pro is
that you will have a very good understanding of how the install disc is
put together.

  Also, that issue appears to be AMD related?  If you have another virt
server that uses Intel, you could create the VM, install, update and
then move it.

  All in all, using a CentOS 5.4 install disc and upgrading seems to be
the simplest for your one off.  That should be possible with AsteriskNow
if you use an older disc of theirs.

	As far as Asterisk goes, I don't restrict myself to VoIP, due to 911
requirements.  In the event of power failure or Internet issue, my POTS
line works more reliably.  By having a UPS on my Asterisk system and PoE
for my phones in conjunction with a POTS line, I have a system that is
more survivable during external issues.  Since I run independent VoIP
and data networks, it makes sense on several levels to maintain my
primary Asterisk system on bare metal.  Though, in the event of failure,
I have no problem running the backup on my virt server.
	I use Elastix, which is also CentOS 5 based.  I modify the kickstart
file to do updates at the end of %post.  I use PXE, but it should be
straightforward to modify the disc image before burning.