[CentOS-virt] How do I reduce a disk size of a particular VM?

compdoc

compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Mon Sep 20 11:18:17 UTC 2010

Place the gparted iso file somewhere you can access it from the VM. I would
recommend placing it on the Centos server that hosts the VM. I keep all my
ISO files in a folder named ISOs.

I run the gnome desktop on my servers, so I use VNC to remote control the
server. I would run the virt-manager gui to shut down the VM guest, connect
the guest's CD to the iso file, and change the boot options to boot from the
CD. Of course, you can do all this from the command line, and I'm sure you
can google information of how to do it that way.

With gparted, I think you can backup the VM over the network to a share. So,
I would first backup the VM, then resize the VM disk with gparted and make
sure it boots, then backup the VM again, create a new smaller disk for the
guest, and restore the smaller backup image.