[CentOS-virt] VMware Server 2 fails on 5.6

Benjamin Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Sun Apr 10 13:50:35 EDT 2011

So others can avoid the lesson I learned this morning, VMware Server 2
stopped working after upgrading to 5.6 from a working 5.5 install (with
the libc workaround for 5.4+ already in place).

Some Google-Fu indicates the problem is linked to more supporting
libraries being changed (zlib, libxml2, possibly others) in addition to
the existing libc issue. I get a segmentation fault trying to launch VM
Server 2 and have been unsuccessful so far in getting my install to work
again.

My own solution is I am rebuilding the physical hardware for KVM support
and temporarily hosting the VMware VMs on a second machine I have still
running 5.5 as I transition to KVM since it became apparent some time
ago that VMware Server 2 is no longer a tenable platform.

--
Benjamin Franz