[CentOS-virt] A question about memory ballooning

Drew

drew.kay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 12:30:40 UTC 2011

>  And the opposite question, can memory balloon be deallocated?? And is
> it possible to do this automatically or is an error to do this??

I think your understanding of ballooning may be backwards. The purpose
of the balloon driver is to give the host system a way of recovering
memory from the guest when the demands on the host's physical memory
exceed the amount available. The balloon inflates within the guests
forcing them to swap or take other memory management measures. When
the pressure on the host eases the balloon deflates automatically.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie